January 18, 2015
The most common work injuries that affected American workers in 2012 ended up costing U.S. businesses about $1 billion in workers’ compensation costs every week, according to the recently released data from the 2014 Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index. What may be even more shocking than this finding is the fact that, in 2012 (the most recent year for which data is available), the five most prevalent work injuries accounted for nearly 66 percent of the total direct workers’ compensation costs to employers in the U.S.
In this blog series, we will take a closer look at the seven most common work injuries that occurred in the U.S. in 2012 – and their direct costs. If you need any assistance with your financial recovery after getting hurt at work, you can turn to Denver Worker’s Compensation Attorney Jennifer Bisset for experienced help and results.
Most Common Work Injuries in the U.S. in 2012
1 – Falling injuries
Falling injuries were, by far, the most common cause of missed work and worker’s compensation claims in the U.S. in 2012. In fact, as Liberty Mutual reports:
- Same-level falls: The direct costs of injuries caused by same-level falls were nearly $9.2 billion in 2012, which comprised more than 15 percent of the total direct work injury costs that year.
- Falls from a height: Falling from a height resulted in direct costs that reportedly exceeded $5 billion in 2012, which comprised nearly 9 percent of the total direct work injury costs that year.
2 – Overexertion injuries
More than 25 percent of the total direct costs of worker’s compensation claims in 2012 were related to overexertion injuries. In particular, overexertion injuries included physical damage caused by:
- Lifting heavy objects
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects
- Carrying and/or throwing things.
Over the course of 2012, overexertion injuries reportedly cost American businesses just over $15 billion in direct costs.
For our continued discussion regarding the most common work injuries reported by American workers in 2012, don’t miss the upcoming second part of this blog series!
Denver Workers’ Compensation Lawyer at the Bisset Law Firm
Have you been injured at work? If so, Denver Workers’ Compensation Attorney Jennifer Bisset wants you to know that she is here to aggressively advocate your rights and help you obtain the benefits you need and deserve. When you choose to work with Attorney Jennifer Bisset, you can trust that she will:
- Work diligently to keep your case moving
- Keep you advised of every development in your case
- Promptly return every one of your phone calls
- Help you secure the maximum possible benefits for your injuries and losses.
Contact Us Today
Contact the Bisset Law Firm today by calling (303) 894-8900 to learn more about your rights and receive a professional evaluation of your case.
From her office based in Denver, Jennifer Bisset provides superior legal services to injured people throughout Denver County and the state of Colorado.