When a work-related injury results in a permanent disability to a person’s arms, legs, sight and/or hearing, a medical professional will typically assign the injured worker an extremity rating after it has been determined that the injured person has achieved his maximum medical improvement. This extremity rating, which is selected according to the American Medical Association’s (AMA’s) Guide to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, will be pivotal in establishing how much compensation an injured worker may receive.
While the complete list of specific extremity ratings is spelled out in Colorado Code 8-42-107, the following are some of the most common extremity ratings and their associated benefits:
- The loss of an arm up to the shoulder – 208 weeks of benefits
- The loss of a hand and wrist – 208 weeks of benefits
- The loss of the complete thumb – 50 weeks of benefits
- The loss of an index finger – 18 weeks of benefits
- The loss of the foot including the ankle – 208 weeks of benefits
- The loss of a foot below the ankle – 104 weeks of benefits
- The loss of the big toe – 36 weeks of benefits
- Total blindness in one eye – 104 weeks of benefits
- Total deafness in both ears – 139 weeks of benefits
- Total deafness in one ear – 35 weeks of benefits.
Extremity Ratings and Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Given that extremity ratings are directly tied to the amount of an individual’s workers’ compensation benefits, it’s important that medical professionals assign the appropriate ratings to injured workers – otherwise these workers could lose out on hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in benefit payments.
When doctors assign the wrong extremity ratings to injured workers – or when insurance companies dispute the assigned extremity ratings in an effort to try to undercut an injured worker’s claim, it will be time for injured parties to consult with an experienced attorney who will stand up for their rights and help them secure the compensation to which they are entitled.
How the Denver Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at the Bisset Law Firm Can Help You
The skilled Denver workers’ compensation attorneys at the Bisset Law Firm are dedicated to providing each of our clients with the highest quality legal representation in order to help them secure the best possible outcomes to their cases. Those who choose to work with our esteemed legal team can trust that we will keep their cases moving and that we will keep them informed of every development in their case. While this means that our clients can count on us to promptly return every one of their calls, it also means that they can trust that we will:
- Meet all of their case deadlines
- Provide them with upfront and honest answers about their case, including possible challenges they may face along the way and when it may be more or less favorable to accept a settlement offer
- Work diligently and relentlessly to help each client secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
While we offer knowledgeable, superior counsel to anyone seriously injured on the job, some of our additional key strengths include our fierce negotiating skills, our extensive trial experience and our readiness to take decisive action when the denial or delay of a workers’ compensation claim is finally overruled.
Contact Us Today
Contact the Denver workers’ compensation lawyers at the Bisset Law Firm by calling (303) 894-8900 to learn more about your rights and receive a professional evaluation of your case.